Sunday, August 15, 2010

(M) New Top 100 Billboard Entries of The Week (This Week Includes Taylor Swift and Linkin Park

That's right. Every week I will look for 4 standing out new songs on the Top 40 Billboard Chart and review them, to see if they really deserve their fame.

Debuting at 3

Taylor Swift-Mine

I'll admit, when I saw I'd have to review a Taylor Swift song, which included listening to it, I wasn't looking forward to it. Upon listening to it, I won't really mind it too much.

The lyrics are pretty good, strong at some points, but the music was, well, average. It sounds like the rest of her songs, really, in fact in lyrics and music. It's better than a lot of stuff on the radio, trust me, but it's very...average.

My rating: C

Debuting at 35

Linkin Park- The Catalyst

I hear a lot of uproar and complaints that this song doesn't sound like Linkin Park, that it's not their style, and that they destroyed their career with this song. I heard it, and I think all three complaints are wrong.

While not as good as stuff from the Minutes to Midnight album or Reanimation, this song packs the same punch and great mixing we have come to love from Linkin Park. The background music is actually quite different while still being the same, a creepy organ you'd hear at the Circus of Hell. My one beef is that the lyrics sound a lot like other Linkin Park songs, like Linkin Park was being a knock-off of Linkin Park.

My Rating: B

Debuting at 46

Sean Kingston/Nicki Minaj- Letting Go

O_o

The background music sounds like the Catalyst.

The Lyrics are average on Sean Kingston's part, and the course unintelligent (du-dee-du-dee-du-dee-du. I feel like letting go.) And at some points, unneccesarily sexual. Plus it's gonna be in my head for about a week now. But I won't mind the music. Mostly due to it being a Catalyst knockoff.

My Rating: D

Debuting at 50

Jay Sean and Nicki Minaj-2012 (It ain't the end)

Hmm... what does THIS song remind me of? Oh, Down! And Do You Remember? Yes, exactly! Same beat, same style lyrics, in fact the only difference is Nicki Minaj is in it.

Rating: C-

Debuting at 53

Katy Perry-Not Like the Movies

This is Katy Perry?

Katy Perry doing a slow, piano laden sad song?

Ladies and gentlemen, I came into this song expecting the same old Katy Perry song- usually weird lyrics, preppy beat and weird subject.

The lyrics are profound, and it's actually quite beautiful. It's more like Christina Aguilera in style, and to be frank, Katy really freaking needed this change of pace. Now I can enjoy her music.

My rating: B

Debuting at 94

Daughtry-September

Daughtry is pretty awesome. The one beef I have with them is they, like Katy Perry and Jay Sean, have songs that repeat themselves. This song breaks away from the rest.

The lyrics are not about breakups or relationship repair like his songs often revolve around, such as No Surprise, Life Without You, and It's Not Over. It's about memories. And it's beautiful. The music does sound like fall leaves falling to the ground with its gentle, falling guitar chords. The lyrics show the affect of memories on your whole life, of longing for the past. And it's done amazingly.

My Rating: A

Debuting at 96

The Script-The Man Who Can't Be Moved

(inserted from Top 15 songs)

The first lyrics are the single best first lyrics to any song I've ever heard. Can you not tell that you're headed for greatness?

The song is another story, following a brokenhearted man who camps at the street corner his former love and he used to love, waiting for her to come back. Now bearing in mind that his former love may never pass that street corner again and very well may have moved halfway across the world, that shows either extreme insanity or extreme love. I like to think of the latter.

Rating: A

Debuting at 97

Drake ft T.I. and Swizz Beatz-Fancy

IT SOUNDS LIKE ABOUT EVERY OTHER RAP SONG IN THE HISTORY OF RAP, ONLY IS TWICE AS ANNOYING, WHILE STILL MAINTAINING PERVERTEDNESS AND CONSTANT SWEARING!

Plus, Drake sounds like Kanye.

But +1 for B.o.B. Reference

My Rating: D-

No comments:

Post a Comment