Monday, August 2, 2010

(M) Cam's Top 15 Songs Part 4

#5

Artist: The Script
Song: The Man Who Can't Be Moved
Genre: Adult Contemporary/Pop
Parent Advisory: None
Other Songs I like from this artist: Breakeven, We Cry, Before the Worst
First Lyrics: "Going Back to the Corner Where I first Saw you, gonna Camp in my Sleeping Bag, I'm Not gonna move."

The above lyrics are the single best first lyrics to any song I've ever heard. Can you not tell that you're headed for greatness?

The song is another story, following a brokenhearted man who camps at the street corner his former love and he used to love, waiting for her to come back. Now bearing in mind that his former love may never pass that street corner again and very well may have moved halfway across the world, that shows either extreme insanity or extreme love. I like to think of the latter.

#4

Artist: Mumford and Sons
Song: Dustbowl Dance
Genre: Bluegrass/Alternative
Parent Advisory: None
Other Songs I like from this artist: Little Lion Man
First Lyrics: "The young man stands on the edge of his porch. The days were short and the father was gone "

I will admit, sometimes it gets a bit tricky to write about these songs because the reason I like them are usually the same. This song branches off in its own direction.

This song is like a good movie. It starts off quiet, tranquil sounding for its anxious story. And it builds up, into the second set of lyrics, where the lead singer starts furiously belting out his lyrics at his "accuser." It tells an amazing story that hooks you on the edge of your seat, and then it explodes into the music solo. The most epic music I have heard in a long time. And then the song dies down into a confession from the only son, said with a sense of defeat.

Just talking about this song makes me want to go listen to it, it's that good.

#3

Artist: B.o.B. ft Hayley Williams
Song: Airplanes
Genre: Rap/Rock
Parent Advisory: Brief Use of 'The "S" word', other than that, completely clean, and a clean version can almost certainly be found.
Other Songs I Like From This Artist: Really, this guy has one of the best albums of the year. All his music is enjoyable, although I prefer songs like Magic and Don't Let me Fall.
First Lyrics: "Can We Pretend That Airplanes In The Night Sky Are Like Shooting Stars? I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now."

And so begins the future Oscar Winner of 2010.

Who doesn't love this song? The lyrics are brilliant, the music is original, and who hasn't quoted that famous chorus at least once on their Facebook Page?

But let's not forget the case of Airplanes vs Airplanes II. Airplanes II has an amazing cameo from Eminem, who totally steals the song. The problem with II is that there is no flow in the music and rapping. It starts and stops in every verse. Airplanes the Original's lyrics are slightly less powerful, but the flow is there, and it is crystal clear. That's why Airplanes the Original is the one on my list, although II is not something to be missed.

#2

Artist:OneRepublic
Song: Good Life
Genre: Pop
Parent Advisory: Use of a swear word in two lyrics, although we all know "sometimes there's BS that don't work" sometimes.
Other Songs I like from this artist: Pretty Much All Of them
First Lyrics: "Woke up in London yesterday, found myself in the city near Piccadily"

This song has all the strengths of All The Right Moves, in the way that the music is unforgettable, and every element is there and perfect. The drumbeat almost lives up to All The Right Moves, whose drumbeat is my favorite out of pretty much any song. Maybe I shoulda mentioned that... But I digress.

The big difference is that the message here is one I live by. Think of every day as a great day, remind yourself that you are living the good life. Then it really will be. The lyrics are among the best, but, hey, you've got Ryan Tedder jotting them down. Of course they're going to be good.

All right! My number one song pick is tomorrow...unless I'm lazy, then it'll be the next day... or maybe the day after that... O_o

No comments:

Post a Comment