Sunday, July 25, 2010

(M) Cam's Top 15 Songs Part 3

Alright! Part 3/5! Songs #8-#6

#8

Artist: Journey
Song: Don't Stop Believing
Genre: Classic Rock
Parent Advisory?: I don't THINK so...
Other Songs I like from this artist: None
First Lyrics: Oh, come on, we ALL know the first few lyrics.
"Just a small town girl, living in a lonely world. She took the midnight train going anywhere..."

You must be living under a rock to have never heard of this song at all. It's legendary.

To be honest, I'm not much of a classic rock guy at all. In fact, I only have about 5-10 songs that I like that are pre 1995, and only one on this list, too. And this is it.

Everything about this song is historic. The piano at the beginning- historic. The lyrics- historic. The Guitar riffs- historic. Everything about this song is legendary. And I don't think I'll ever forget it.

And does anyone else remember its use in The Soprano's? I didn't even watch the show, I just You-Tubed the ending after hearing about it, and to this day I still like to pause the song for a moment at the time the song was interrupted in respect to that awesome, if not sadistic ending.

#7

Artist: Vampire Weekend
Song: Giving Up The Gun
Genre: Alternative
Parent Advisory?: Nope.
Other Songs I Like from this artist: Johnathan Low, A-Punk, Cousins
First Lyrics: "Your Sword's Grown Old and Rusty, but Beneath a Rising Sun."

Vampire Weekend is one of a kind. Every song is unlike anything I've ever heard, and this song shines as their best. As soon as you hear the first note, you know you're heading for greatness.

Again, the lyrics are amazing on this, as they are for most of my favorites. But the big difference is that these lyrics are so visual, you can see it so well in your mind's eye. And no detail is forgotten in this song's music. Every sound is unique and distinguished.

This is the perfect gateway drug into Vampire Weekend, if not Alternative Music as a whole.

#6

Artist: Coldplay
Song: Lovers In Japan
Genre: Rock/Alternative
Parent Advisory: None
Other Songs From this Artist I like: Wow... Just play any Coldplay song at any time and I have a new favorite song of the moment.
First Lyrics: "Lovers, Keep on the road you're on."

Wow.

If you're not absolutely blown away by this song the first time you hear it, then I'd be shocked.

Someday someone's gonna write a total history of Music of this decade, and Coldplay will probably have their own chapter. These guys are professionals. And this song is addicting.

Most notable is the music. Every sound is amazing, but the lyrics have their own sort of order to them too that is very notable.

"Lovers, keep on the road you're on,
Runners, until the race is won.
Soldiers, you've got to soldier on.
Sometimes, even the right is wrong."

Take out the first word of each verse and it makes sense still, if not even more sense.

This song is very true to the band, its music... well, you'll have to hear for yourself, and the lyrics are cleverly written. This song is an example of Coldplay's greatness.

Well, I'm too stumped to write any more, although I do think I have the order of the songs worked out in my head. Feel free to comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment